Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Update on Jury Duty

After multiple calls and letters, I have been released from Jury Duty- well hopefully.

What I had to do...
1) Call Hannah's doctor to get a signed letter... what should it say you may be asking yourself. When I asked what the letter should say, they replied, "Sorry, we cannot tell you what the letter should say, but you need a doctor's note"
2) I was turned down by the doctor, only to have a sympathetic nurse say she would write something up and see if he would sign it.
3) Received the letter from the doctor which stated that I am the primary caretaker of a dependent child.... yes, just one sentence.
4) Made a copy of Hannah's Birth Certificate to include as evidence.
5) Wrote a personal letter stating that I would be happy to serve jury duty when my life circumstance changed.
6) Included a copy of their website that stated that an acceptable excuse was as follows: Provides actual and necessary care of a person and actual and necessary care of another.
7) Sent all the evidence in.
8) Received a letter saying I was excused from Jury Duty.
9) Received a letter saying I was summoned to Jury Duty.????
10) Call to clarify whether I was indeed excused.
11) She told me I was, but I would not be surprised to find out they did not excuse me after all! I think I should have just served!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some day you will enjoy sitting is a crowded room of stranger, reading a light book and hoping to not get called up. And then you get a small check. The people watching is worth it.
Love Gramzy