Monday, May 14, 2012

Things that actually matter

(This post from Brian...)

There's nothing like a weekend back home (plus a wedding and a funeral) to remind me how bad I suck at just about everything that matters in life, and how the rest of the things that consume my time and attention just seem insignificant when I take a few steps back from the day-to-day grind.

My grandpa died this week at 82 years old. What a legacy he has left to me and my family. Reflecting on him, I came up with the following 2 lists.

List #1. Things that actually matter at the end of life (i.e. "things that I suck at"):
  1. Time spent getting to know God and His Word, and trusting Him instead of myself
  2. How well I loved Mary, served her, nourished & cherished her, built her up, spent time with her, enjoyed her
  3. How well I loved my kids, provided for them -- not just things, but also time together, people, experiences, education, stories, music, etc.
  4. If I prayed for my wife and kids, and led them toward Jesus
  5. Whether I honored my parents & grandparents, spent time with them, and took care of them when needed
  6. How well I loved and served: Mary's parents, family, and friends .. my siblings and their families .. and extended family and friends
  7. How I enjoyed God and His creation, worshipped Him, encouraged others toward Him, engaged in His community, and served my community/world
  8. In my vocation, whether I did it with passion, integrity, excellence, and whether I used my vocation to serve others

List #2. Things that don't matter, never will, and never have (i.e. "things that I spend all my time caring about"):
  1. How good I was at making or managing money ... except in pursuit of the things listed above
  2. How well-liked I was by those who didn't know me very well or deeply
  3. How cool or witty I was (or, more likely, wasn't)
  4. How perfect and organized my house/car/life is ... and how good I was at "keeping it all together"
  5. How well my kids performed at school or activities ... or how many veggies they ate
  6. How much hair I have (left)
  7. Whether my resume or list of accomplishments was impressive
  8. Whether I had a position of status or was a nobody, whether I got credit for accomplishments or not, or how high I climbed the success ladder

3 comments:

kari said...

so true

--just found your family's blog...

Anonymous said...

From reading this blog entry, I would say you are on your way to being wise beyond your years. Been there, and it sure took me awhile to come to these revelations. Take care.

Uncle Richard

Aunt Judy said...

Brian, you hit the nail on the head. I wish more young men would think and want to be like you. I am proud of you and pray You will always seek God's guidance. It was good to see you and your family.