Monday, October 24, 2011

Another Favorite Thing.....

To continue with my favorite things.... immediately after I posted my last post on favorite things, I couldn't believe I left my kindle off the list.  I absolutely love my kindle.  I can get hundreds of classics for free at my fingertips at any given moment in a tiny device smaller than a regular book.  I don't have to hold a huge bulky book to read Les Miserables.  I can underline and un-underline, write notes and then get all of my underlines and notes online and put them in a word document.  I can send documents to my kindle and read them.  I can even see popular highlights from others which is sometimes interesting.  It is the best $100 I have spent this past year.  Brian borrowed mine for a trip and then bought his own.  I can even get the greek bible on the kindle.  As part of this post, I am including a few quotes from the book I am currently reading (only 20% done according to the kindle).  Can you guess what it is??

"But as soon as one is at rest, in this world, off he goes on something else to worry about."

"The mere knowledge of a fact is pale; but when you come to realize your fact, it takes on color. It is all the difference between hearing of a man being stabbed to the heart, and seeing it done."

" It seems to show that there isn't anything you can't stand, if you are only born and bred to it."

You can stop reading here or suffer through this last quote.  It might identify the book, if you read it in 10th grade English.

"Now it is curious how progressively little frets grow and multiply after they once get a start.  Things which I didn't mind at all, at first, I began to mind now—and more and more, too, all the time.  The first ten or fifteen times I wanted my handkerchief I didn't seem to care; I got along, and said never mind, it isn't any matter, and dropped it out of my mind.  But now it was different; I wanted it all the time; it was nag, nag, nag, right along, and no rest; I couldn't get it out of my mind; and so at last I lost my temper and said hang a man that would make a suit of armor without any pockets in it.  You see I had my handkerchief in my helmet; and some other things; but it was that kind of a helmet that you can't take off by yourself.  That hadn't occurred to me when I put it there; and in fact I didn't know it.  I supposed it would be particularly convenient there.  And so now, the thought of its being there, so handy and close by, and yet not get-at-able, made it all the worse and the harder to bear.  Yes, the thing that you can't get is the thing that you want, mainly; every one has noticed that. Well, it took my mind off from everything else; took it clear off, and centered it in my helmet; and mile after mile, there it stayed, imagining the handkerchief, picturing the handkerchief; and it was bitter and aggravating to have the salt sweat keep trickling down into my eyes, and I couldn't get at it.  It seems like a little thing, on paper, but it was not a little thing at all; it was the most real kind of misery.  I would not say it if it was not so. I made up my mind that I would carry along a reticule next time, let it look how it might, and people say what they would.  Of course these iron dudes of the Round Table would think it was scandalous, and maybe raise Sheol about it, but as for me, give me comfort first, and style afterwards."

No comments: